Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Second Year - Second Semester, thus far

This semester has already become one of the craziest semesters I've had so far at TWU. My homework load is increased, I am in an upcoming production that requires around 20 hours of rehearsal a week, I'm involved in a discipleship group, and I have a lot going on within my personal relationships.

The only thing that makes this semester different than the others, is the fact that all my classes are from my major. I love every class I'm in, even though a couple of them really annoy me at times. I'm learning sooo much it's incredible. There are days where I wake up and run from class to class to class, grab a meal and run to rehearsal without a break. This is the furthest I have ever made it into a semester without pulling an all nighter. Everyone knows that all nighters are a university must at one point or another, but last semester alone I can remember probably around 10 times, however, I'm sure there were more. I know the Denny's staff by name and have favourite booths and servers, and by the end of the semester had gotten to know their schedule. Also, I have skipped only one class by choice for a personal reason (and the prof excused me for it).

I guess the thing that makes a huge difference on your work load is whether or not you truly like the classes you are in. Last semester I was in classes that I wanted to truly like, but I didn't and it made my life really difficult. Something I have learned at TWU is that life is too short to try to be someone else, don't be who you think society wants you to be, don't be who you think your parents want you to be, be you. Be who God made you and love it.

I came into Trinity Western as a Pre-Med student who was convinced they were an introverted science nerd. Turns out I'm not an introvert, I'm not sciency by nature (but I can still do sciences), and I'm not really a nerd (except for my love for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but that's a whole other topic). I now describe myself as an extroverted theatre fanatic. I was so determined to be the guy who overcame a terrible life and got a job in one of the most respected and revered job fields, that I forgot to look at who I was. There's no doubt in my mind that if I set my mind to it I could have pursued medicine, but it's not what I'm supposed to do. Just like a lot of science students could pursue Theatre if they wanted, but if they aren't truly passionate about it they'll fall flat on their face like I did in the sciences.

While I wasn't going to touch on my ability in the sciences, my pride will not allow me to leave it be. I'll just say that for everything that I completed I got a good mark. However, because I wasn't enthusiastic for the courses there were a couple things I didn't do to the best of my ability. I'll leave it at that.

Theatre is what I love, if it's not what I end up doing then I'm certain God has other plans for me. Six years ago I didn't even think I could go to university, now I'm at an amazing Christian university studying what I love. Obviously God's plans are bigger than we can imagine.

If I can encourage you in any way today, I would say do what you love. Because if you don't love what you're doing, you obviously aren't going to want to do it

Till next time,
-T

P.S. NEW GENERATIONS opens tomorrow night at TWU's SAMC Theatre.
You can buy tickets here!

No comments:

Post a Comment